Updated: Jan 25
Deepa Primalani founded Your Fitness Singapore in 2012 with the aim of helping people achieve their fitness goals, and have fun in the process! She and her fitness trainers conduct a myriad of fitness sessions, including Personal Training, Fitness Bootcamps, Kids Bootcamps, Boxing and Aqua Aerobics. When she is not running her business or working out, Deepa spends quality time with her husband and two young children.
(1) What inspired you to be a fitness trainer?
I always admired someone with strength and the ability to look and feel good. I wanted to make a significant change in the lives of others and to make sure they benefit from it. Lastly, when I lost my mum in 2012 due to a sudden massive heart attack, 3 months after I had completed the personal training course with FISAF Singapore, there was nothing that was going to deter me from achieving my company which is now YOUR FITNESS SINGAPORE. Your Fitness was founded with the mindset of making a change in the lives of others each day.
(2) Describe some of the services provided by YourFitness, and how do you differentiate yourselves from other fitness providers in Singapore?
Your Fitness comes to you at a location, day and time of your choice. We run personal training, fitness bootcamps, boxing, aqua aerobics and kids sessions. We train staff from corporate companies too in group settings. We have up to 14 group sessions a week!
(3) What are some of the challenges that come with being a fitness entrepreneur?
The fitness industry has become a very challenging and competitive environment in recent years. Managing sessions, coaches & clients and making sure you are on top of the game in all areas is key to staying in the industry. In every aspect, I believe you need to keep pushing forward but under the right circumstance.
(4) What is the best compliment you have received from a satisfied client?
I was called a BITCH aloud at a bootcamp session in 2013! Now that ‘compliment’ has stayed with me till 2020 so it clearly worked! The client came up to me after the session to hug me and say, that bitch meant you have made a huge difference to my daily life, I am stronger, happier & healthier thanks to the sessions by YOUR FITNESS! That moved me as I was still early into my training days.
(5) What were the most rewarding changes you've seen in your clients? e.g. weight loss, more strength, more energetic, etc.
In my 8 years thus far, I have seen all sorts of changes! I have seen weight loss scenarios, massive stamina gains, health issues corrected, and rehab clients moving pain-free again.
(6) How has motherhood affected your workout routines?
Motherhood has given me less time on my hands but it’s challenged me to come up with more effective and quicker programs not only for myself but for all my MUMMY CLIENTS!
(7) What advice would you give to aspiring fitness trainers out there?
Keep working hard, never stop learning and educating yourself! But always remember, experience matters.
(8) If you were stuck in a lift with any person (alive today) in the world, who would you want it to be and why?
Donald Trump. I'd rather meet him than second guess his integrity and wit!